CPD FOOTBALL | THE BLOG | The World of Indian football and beyond by Chris Punnakkattu Daniel

Churchill Brothers and Shillong Lajong play out goalless draw

Samuel Lalmuanpuia of Shillong Lajong FC

Churchill Brothers SC and Shillong Lajong FC played out a goalless draw in a Hero I-League encounter at the Tilak Maidan, Goa today.

Churchill Brothers started the first half very well with many chances created in front of goal. The host earned their first shot on target in the 2nd minute through Chesterpaul Lyngdoh but his shot was blocked comfortably by Lajong custodian Vishal Kaith. The first half saw few corners in favour of both sides but neither could convert.

In the 11th minute, Churchill had the best chance to take the lead when A. Wolfe found space inside the box to let fly a shot which eventually hit the post and the rebound was met by Kromah who tried to place it back inside goal but Vishal was heroic in coming back to his line and clearing it away. Even though Lajong did not create as many chances as the host, Fabio and Dipanda Dicka worked hard and combined well on few occasions but could not find the net. The set pieces for Lajong in the first half were not clinical enough to trouble Churchill.

Churchill Brothers player, Brandon, took a shot on target from long range in the 29th minute but Vishal parried the shot onto the bar to subsequently collect it after the rebound. It wasn’t a great first half for Lajong but the score remained goalless in the first half.

In the second half however, Lajong were clearly the more dominant side. The team talk in the break seemed to change the visiting team as they created numerous chances in front of goal. Dipanda Dicka had two golden opportunities in the second half to give his side the lead but lacked the clinical touch to find the net. Samuel Shadap provided a good ball inside the box in the 62nd minute to find Dipanda but his shot after a turn failed to beat the defender near the goal line. Churchill had one chance in the 66th minute after a corner was met by Adil Khan’s header but the ball went just wide of the post. Fabio too was denied a goal in the 66th minute after his header from Isaac’s cross was tipped over by Churchill’s Goalkeeper. The best chance of the match came to Dipanda Dicka of Lajong in the 80th minute after the ball went past two Churchill defenders but Lajong’s goal scoring machine took too much time on the ball and his eventual shot was deflected away by the keeper.

The match ended goalless and goalkeeper Vishal Kaith of Shillong Lajong was awarded the Hero of the Match for his brilliant saves. Lajong remain on 4th position in the table with 20 points from 13 matches played.

The I-league goes into a short break and Lajong will play their next match on the 8th of April 2017 in Pune against DSK Shivajians.

(Shillong Lajong FC Press Release)