TSG 1899 Hoffenheim surprised the football world as the German Bundesliga side announced the appointment of 28-year-old Julian Nagelsmann as the new first team head coach from the 2016/17 season onwards.
Hoffenheim sacked their head coach Markus Gisdol on Monday (October 26) after a disappointing season so far and handed experienced Dutchman Huub Stevens the job to the end of the on-going 2015/16 season.
Nagelsmann would succeed Stevens for the new season to become the Bundesliga’s youngester ever head coach. The young coach is currently in charge of Hoffenheim’s U-19 team and he is currently attending courses to obtain his pro licence.
“Despite our difficult situation at the moment, it’s important to set down a marker for the future,” said Hoffenheim’s CEO Dr. Peter Görlich in a statement released on the club website. “We’re planning for the long term and staying true to our philosophy to bring through talent from our youth department.”
“For many reasons, we’re convinced that Julian is a perfect fit,” Director of Football Alexander Rosen added. “He has shown through his work with the achtzehn99 ACADEMY that he’s one of the biggest coaching talents in the area.”
“I’m excited about the challenges ahead and I’m grateful for the belief placed in me,” Julian Nagelsmann told in a first statement.
Nagelsmann has signed a contract until June 30, 2019.