THE BLOG BY CPD FOOTBALL | The World of Indian football and beyond by Chris Punnakkattu Daniel

I-League: Dempo crush Mumbai FC

Dempo SC 4-0 Mumbai FC

Dempo SC 4-0 Mumbai FC

Dempo Sports Club made their title ambitions clear with a comprehensive 4-0 win over Mumbai FC in a second round clash at the Nehru Stadium in Fatorda.

Clifford Miranda provided Dempo with the lead in the first session of the play while Ranty Martins scored a brace and Anthony Pereira also added his name to the score sheet as Dempo turned a competitive match in the first session to a stroll in the second.

Dempo showed Mumbai FC plenty of respect at the start of the match, most of it stemming from the visitors’ 4-1 demolition of Air India in the opener. Mumbai FC started positively too and within minutes of the kick off, Sampath Kuttymani hit the post with a long ranger that took everyone, including Dempo goalkeeper Subhashish Roy Chowdhury, by surprise.

Mumbai FC again hit the crossbar, this time Ebbie Sukoro leaving the Dempo goalkeeper stranded with a beautiful curl that hit the crossbar and rebounded back into play.

Mumbai FC were themselves living dangerously at the other end and it was only because of Joaquim Abranches’ haste that Dempo did not open the account. The Dempo striker was beautifully picked up by Clifford Miranda and had an open goal in front of him but shockingly sent the ball wide.

A minute later, Ranty was at the right end of a through ball but the Nigerian striker too went close even after getting the better of the rival goalkeeper Ishan Debnath.
Dempo finally broke the deadlock in the 37th minute when Peter Carvalho tore the Mumbai FC defence to shreds with a beautiful through ball from almost the half-way mark. Clifford, at the other end, timed his run perfectly to control the ball and place it past the rushing goalkeeper.

Just like the first session, Mumbai FC started strongly after the change of ends as well but once Ranty got his first goal, and the team’s second five minutes from the restart, the result was abundantly clear.

Ranty continued to be dangerous with his movements and the 72nd minute strike — after being fed on the platter — was in tune with the match. Anthony hammered the final nail in Mumbai FC’s coffin.


(AIFF Press Release)