England manager Fabio Capello has resigned from his post on Wednesday evening, after a meeting with FA Chairman David Bernstein and FA General Secretary Alex Horne at Wembley Stadium.
Capello publicly challenged the FA’s decision to strip John Terry of the captaincy on Italy’s state broadcaster RAI earlier this week. Terry is currently facing charges of allegedly racially abusing QPR player Anton Ferdinand.
“I thought it was right that Terry should keep the captain’s armband,” Capello stated on RAI television. “I have spoken to the FA chairman and I have said that in my opinion one cannot be punished until it is official and the court – a non-sport court, a civil court – had made a decision to decide if John Terry has done what he is accused of.”
The statements by Capello against the FA took the saga to a quick and prompt end this evening. The 65-year-old Italian and the FA representatives met for over an hour at the home of English football.
“The Football Association can confirm that Fabio Capello has today resigned as England Manager. This follows a meeting involving FA Chairman David Bernstein, FA General Secretary Alex Horne and Fabio Capello at Wembley Stadium,” the FA stated in an official press release.
“The discussions focused on The FA Board’s decision to remove the England team captaincy from John Terry, and Fabio Capello’s response through an Italian broadcast interview.”
“In a meeting for over an hour, Fabio’s resignation was accepted and he will leave the post of England manager with immediate effect.”
“I would like to stress that during today’s meeting and throughout his time as England manager, Fabio has conducted himself in an extremely professional manner. We have accepted Fabio’s resignation, agreeing this is the right decision,” FA Chairman David Bernstein told. “We would like to thank Fabio for his work with the England team and wish him every success in the future.”
Capello took over the reigns of the English national team in December 2007 and he had his first game in charge on February 6, 2008 against Switzerland. The Italian earned £6m a year according to the BBC and he was planning to leave England after the UEFA EURO 2012.
England U21 coach Stuart Pearce will be in charge for England’s friendly against the Netherlands on February 29.
The FA will conduct a press conference with David Bernstein on Thursday and further details will be disclosed at the presser.