THE BLOG BY CPD FOOTBALL | The World of Indian football and beyond by Chris Punnakkattu Daniel

Shillong Lajong beat Langsning FC to win U-18 Shillong Premier League 2017

Shillong Lajong celebrate their U-18 Shillong Premier League 2017 title (Photo courtesy: Shillong Lajong FC)

Shillong Lajong FC Junior Reds have won the U-18 Shillong Premier League 2017 after a 1-0 win over Langsning FC today at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Shillong. Donboklang Lyngdoh netted a superb solitary goal in the 31st of the match.

It was an entertaining final clash today of the Under 18 SPL between the two top sides of the league. Langsning got the better of Lajong in the league round by 3-2 and the Lajong Juniors were eager to redeem their performance in the final showdown today.

Langsning were moving the ball really well in the opening quarter of the match. Lajong Juniors meanwhile looked threatening on the counter. Lajong’s Donbok had a shot in the 6th minute, but it was not on target. Langsning had majority of the possession but could not breakthrough the defence.

Langsning had a chance in the 21st minute but the shot from distance went over the crossbar. It was in the 31st minute, when Donboklang Lyngdoh broke the deadlock from the counter attack. He dribbled past the defence from the left and took a shot which was blocked by the keeper but the ball feel back kindly in front of Donbok, who made no mistake in blasting it towards the roof of the net, to give Lajong the lead.

In the 38th minute, Phrangki almost doubled the lead for Lajong as he made a good run inside the box from the right wing but his low shot was denied by the keeper and resulted in a corner. Langsning earned a free kick in the 44th minute just outside the box but the shot went wide.

In the second half, Langsning were working hard to equalise but the Reds remained composed at the back. Even though Langsning were creating good chances but were not clinical in front of goal. Phrangki had a second chance to double the lead for Lajong when he received a through ball from Romen in the 58th minute but his shot was again denied by the keeper.

Few minutes later at the other end, Langsning had a wonderful chance to equalise, but the shot missed the target. Towards the end of the second half, the game intensified.

Langsning were pressing high while Lajong were looking dangerous on the counter attack. With couple of minutes left, the Junior Reds had three consecutive shots but were very unlucky not to score.

Lajong’s defence remained resolute until the end and the impressive team performance earned them the Championship.

(Shillong Lajong FC)