THE BLOG BY CPD FOOTBALL | The World of Indian football and beyond by Chris Punnakkattu Daniel

Resilient Blue Colts down Hindustan FC for fourth successive win

Hero 2nd Division League

Ten-man Bengaluru FC B put on a resilient show in the capital as they fought from a goal down to win 3-1 against Hindustan FC in the Hero 2nd Division League at the Ambedkar Stadium in New Delhi, on Monday.

Goals from Altamash Sayed (14’), Naorem Roshan Singh (65’) and Namgyal Bhutia (87’) cancelled out Franko Paul’s (6’) early opener for the hosts as the Blue Colts secured their fourth successive win to maintain their perfect record and further strengthen their top spot in Group-A with 12 points. BFC B played more than 70 minutes win ten men after defender Biswa Darjee was sent off for a direct red in the 20th minute.

With the League resuming after a long break, Coach Naushad Moosa opted to make four changes with goalkeeper Shainkhan CP, defenders Rakesh Oram and Biswa along with midfielder Lalengzama Vangchhia being handed starts.

In a game that began frantically, the Blue Colts had a great chance to open scoring in the second minute itself. Winger Leon Augustine, making a dangerous run in from the right, was fouled on the edge of the box. Altamash curled the resultant freekick into the box to find an unmarked Amal Das at the far post but the defender’s header went inches wide.

The miss proved costly as the hosts took the lead at the other end when Amal was adjudged to have brought down rival midfielder Ronaque Bakshi in the box. Franko stepped up and slotted it past Shainkhan in the BFC B goal to put Hindustan FC 1-0 up.

Their lead lasted just eight minutes as Moosa’s boys levelled scores at the other end around the quarter hour mark. Biswa floated in a perfect cross from the left to find attacker Advaith Shinde who controlled well before before holding it and laying off for an onrushing Altamash, who then found the back of the net with a first-time finish.

The Blue Colts looked threatening in attack after the equaliser, but it was Hindustan who once again were awarded a penalty. This time Biswa took one for the team after he handled Franko’s attempt on the goal line, with the Hindustan attacker taking a shot having beaten Amal and Shaikhan on a solo run. Referee Ravindra Thapliyal pointed to the spot and gave Biswa his marching orders reducing Bengaluru to ten men. The golden chance was however missed by the hosts as Franko skied his attempt from the spot-kick in the 21st minute.

With both sides locked at 1-1 in the first half, the start to the second half was cautious. Despite being a man down the Blue Colts continued to push up and their efforts were rewarded when Roshan put them in the lead midway through the second half. Midfielder Emanuel Lalchhanchhuaha was fouled right on the edge of the box down the middle earning BFC B a freekick. Roshan stepped up and curled it brilliantly into the top right corner past a helpless David Chauhan in the rival goal for his third strike of the competition putting Bengaluru in the lead for the first time in the game.

After having a Lalnuntluanga goal ruled out for offside in the final ten minutes, the Blue Colts finally secured their three points when Bhutia headed in his first goal of the campaign. Emanuel cut past a couple defenders on the right, before his left footer came off the woodwork and fell for Roshan on the edge of the box on the left. The attacker took a touch before crossing it to Bhutia at the far post to head home with ease a seal a well-deserved win.

Bengaluru FC B now play LoneStar Kashmir FC in Srinagar on February 27.

(Bengaluru FC)