THE BLOG BY CPD FOOTBALL | The World of Indian football and beyond by Chris Punnakkattu Daniel

Ten-man Mohammedan Sporting pay the penalty

Calcutta Premier Division 'A' match action between Mohammedan Sporting Club and East Bengal FC. (Photo courtesy: Mohammedan Sporting Club)
Calcutta Premier Division 'A' match action between Mohammedan Sporting Club and East Bengal FC. Photo courtesy: Mohammedan Sporting Club

Mohammedan Sporting Club, despite playing the entire second-half with 10-men, put on a valiant effort but end of the day it was not enough as East Bengal FC walked out victorious 3-2 in their Calcutta Premier Division ‘A’ encounter on Thursday at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan.

The Black Panthers finished their Calcutta Premier Division ‘A’ campaign on 19 points from 11 matches.

East Bengal took the lead in the 12th minute through Pintu Mahata who sent in a thundering header into the net from a low cross by Kamalpreet Singh from the right wing.

Nonetheless, Mohammedan resorted the parity in stunning fashion when Kareem Omlaja curled in a free-kick from the edge of the box.

The equalizer signaled a lift in intensity from the Black Panthers, who made several decent attacks with Vanlalbiaa Chhangte and Satyam Sharma testing East Bengal goalkeeper Lalthuammawia Ralte, however, things took a unexpected turn for the Black Panthers when Safiul Rahman punched out Jaime Colado’s goal-bound header which not only earned a penalty for East Bengal but Safiul also got marching orders. It was Colado who stepped in and slotted the penalty into the bottom right corner to give East Bengal the lead going into the break.

Mohammedan came out of the sheds fired up to bring themselves back into contention, controlling the ball, winning set pieces and keeping East Bengal pinned into their own back third.

However, Saheed Ramon’s charges weren’t able to keep up the pace as substitute Marcos Espada headed home a cross from Lalrindika Ralte to the delight of East Bengal fans.

Mohammedan, meanwhile, did not lose hope as they kept attacking with intensity and pulled a goal back through substitute Arthur Kouassi in the 82nd minute.

The match started to become a little tenser as the clock counted down with Mohammedan showing great determination in their pursuit of an equalizer, while East Bengal remained solid at the back.

Mohammedan, to their credit, never gave up but it appeared as if getting on the score sheet just wasn’t to be for the side today with every shot went anywhere but on target as East Bengal held on on for a narrow win.

(Mohammedan Sporting Club)