THE BLOG BY CPD FOOTBALL | The World of Indian football and beyond by Chris Punnakkattu Daniel

Pune FC down Chanmari FC 2-1 for a thrilling comeback win

U-19 I-League: Pune FC v Chanmari FC

U-19 I-League: Pune FC v Chanmari FC

For the second time in three days, Pune FC came from a goal down to beat Chanmari FC 2-1 in a fifth round U-19 I-League final phase encounter at the DSK Football Field in Loni on Wednesday.

In a game completely dominated by Pune FC, it was Chanmari FC who took the lead in the 42nd minute through striker Lalammpuia. Nonetheless, Pune FC fought back and a brace from midfielder Md. Yasir (52nd & 64th minute) in the second half handed them their second win in a row.

The win was also Pune FC’s third of the campaign and took their tally to ten points level with leaders AIFF Elite Academy but behind on goal difference.

Coach Naushad Moosa made one change going into the game handing a start to Prakash Sarkar in place of the suspended Sanchayan Samadder.

Having controlled possession in the early exchanges, Pune FC went close in the seventh minute. Md. Yasir’s cut back on the left to find Dimple Bhagat who sent in a neat cross for striker Chesterpaul Lyngdoh but his header went just wide.

Minutes later, it was defender Myron Mendes who went agonisingly close. After some brilliant footwork in the midfield, Prakash set up Myron who cut inform the right and let fly but his left-footer went inches over the crossbar.

As the half progressed, Chesterpaul had two glorious chances to give Pune FC the lead. In the 22nd minute, some good work from Sannik Murmu and Altamash Sayed opened up space for Chesterpaul on the left but his lob went wide at the far post.

Minutes later, Myron with a brilliant through pass found Chesterpaul clear on the edge of the line. Sensing an opportunity lobbed over the defense but the ball was tipped over just in time by the Chanmari custodian.

Having dominated the proceedings completely, a defensive lapse cost Pune FC in the final five minutes of the half as Chanmari took the lead against the run of play. A long ball from the midfield from Sairmatkima found Lalammpuia clear on the right. The attacker ran forward and slotted home beating an advanced Sukhadev Patil who came out to intercept unsuccessfully.

Pune FC went into the breather trailing by a goal to nil.

The second half was a similar story with Pune FC putting continuous pressure on the rivals. This time however, they made it count pulling level in the 52nd minute.

Sannik made a darting run in from the right and was fouled just outside the box. The resultant freekick was fired on target by Dimple whose attempt was blocked by the keeper but Yasir made no mistake in slotting home the rebound from close.

Pune FC kept pushing up and finally took the lead in the 64th minute. Once again it was Sannik who created the goal setting up Yasir in the midfield. The youngster controlled and hammered a powerful attempt straight into the goal from 25-yards out to complete his brace.

Thereafter, Pune FC dominated proceedings completely in the final quarter with Chanmari pushing up on the occasional counter.

Having had numerous half chances in the rival half, Pune FC almost got their third deep in injury time. After some good interplay in the midfield, skipper Altamash set up Pradeesh Clement on the right. The substitute cut in and fired a low left footer which came off the woodwork as the game ended 2-1 in favour of Pune FC.