THE BLOG BY CPD FOOTBALL | The World of Indian football and beyond by Chris Punnakkattu Daniel

Seityasen Singh’s hat-trick enough to overpower Salgaocar FC

Seityasen Singh (Royal Wahingdoh FC)
Seityasen Singh (Royal Wahingdoh FC)

Picture courtesy: I-League Media

Royal Wahingdoh FC did everything right in their final home game of this Hero I-League season when they defeated Salgaocar FC 4-2 at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Shillong on Sunday.

A hat-trick from Seityasen Singh and one from captain Densil Theobald set things up nice for the hosts, even if Salgaocar did threaten with a Douhou Pierre strike and late Darryl Duffy goal.

As in previous matches, a one-minute silence was observed before kick-off for the victims of the recent Nepal earthquake.

Seityasen and Jackichand Singh combined nicely all evening, living up to the expectations put upon them after Wahingdoh had to go without the services of Bekay Bawar, while only being able to field Kim Song Yong as a second half substitution.

After going wide with an earlier attempt, Seitya scored the first of his three goals in the 10th minute when Theobald intercepted a ball, passed it to Jacki and the latter spotted the open Seitya on the right, who placed the ball perfectly past goalkeeper Subrata Pal.

Although they took the lead, the Royals did not have it all their own way for the rest of the half, with Bikash Jairu, Douhou and Duffy all looking threatening from time to time, even if the visitors were unable to find the equaliser in the first 45 minutes.

All five of the other goals in the game came in the second session and it all started with a sublime free-kick taken by Douhou in the 56 minute. Reagan Singh was carded for a silly foul deep on the left flank. The Ivorian’s aim was perfect, beating Nikhil Bernard for the equaliser and silencing the massive 16,000-plus crowd.

Salgaocar’s joy was shortlived, however, as Theobald then put his side back into the lead just three minutes later. Lalchawnkima found his skipper lurking in the middle unmarked and passed him the ball. Theobald sauntered forward with the Goans hanging back expecting him to look for one of the strikers, but the Trinidadian had his own plan and rocketed a right-footer low and past Pal.

A one-goal margin was a little too close for comfort, but Seitya gave his team more breathing space in the 67th minute a pass from Jacki to the Number 11 was easily pushed past Pal for the third goal. The fourth followed 15 minutes later when Seitya thunked the ball into the net after a delicious cross from Jacki for his hat-trick.

The visitors tried to respond to the 4-1 scoreline, but despite pushing forward a number of times, the RWFC defence managed to hold on, with an excellent performance for Loveday Okechukwu.

Duffy, though, never gave up and secured a consolation goal with a neat chip over Bernard deep into the three minutes of stoppage time, but it was ultimately the Wahingdoh team who were able to celebrate a fantastic last home game from their team, with all hopes of them challenging for the title now resting on how they perform in their last two fixtures, both of which will in Kolkata to Mohun Bagan and East Bengal.

(Report & Picture courtesy I-League Media)